We have an unhealthy obsession with local optimisation and love skyrocketing companies revenue from inbound traffic. Here are some tips on how you can get more leads to your accountancy firm website using SEO.
Before we get started, do you need a new website or a re-design of an old one? When running a business, it’s important that you have the best-looking website within your industry, and it consistently gets you, new customers. We have a long history of working with many industries, developing cost-effective websites. Fill out the form below to get a free quote.Quick Navigation
Before we get started, do you need a new website or a re-design of an old one? When running a business, it’s important that you have the best-looking website within your industry, and it consistently gets you, new customers. We have a long history of working with many industries, developing cost-effective websites. Fill out the form below to get a free quote.
- Business listing
- Leveraging traffic from other websites
- Site structure
- Technical SEO audit
- Directory citations
- User experience
- Blog posting
- Guest posting
1. Local SEO For Accountants – Google Business ListingIf you haven’t already set this up you can create a listing by going to google.com/business and create a listing, Google will then send you a pin within 3-5 days with a verification pin. Do the following things for optimising your listing:
- Company logo
- Business address
- Opening hours
- Website link
- Phone number
- Email address
- Company mission
- Company description
- Areas you cover
- Images of your work
- List your services
- Categorise pictures of the team
Getting ReviewsGetting reviews – this is essential for converting traffic, we all know when we search for a company on-line we like to read reviews; this is why tripadvisor is so popular when booking a hotel room. So, this is the same for your accountancy firm. Send links to your happy customers with a direct link to your Google business listing review page. (just asking them to leave a review does not work, 9 times out of 10 they will not know where to post them online) so sending this direct link will make this a simple and easy process for them to do this. You can do this by searching your company name on Google, clicking “write a review” on the map listing and copying the URL, then sending this to your happy customer.
Posting on GoogleGoogle now offers a feature where you can post directly to the Google business listing, this is a great place to post offers, latest work, blog posts and things that are happening in your business such as local awards or accreditations you have received, for example, if your company has just become a chartered accountants, you should post it on Google. This is very much like a Facebook post but will show up under your map listing.
2. Leveraging traffic from other sitesSometimes it is not just about getting keywords found on google but getting traffic from already highly ranked domains. Let us explain If you Google the keyword ‘Accountant Essex’ you will see 4 Paid ads, 3 map listings, and the top organic listing is Yell.com: Rather than fighting these websites, get listed on them, they have already done the hard work so getting prominent positions on these sites can generate a lot more traffic. So, it’s not just about getting top ranking on Google it’s about leveraging the current rankings of other sites that are listed in your local area.
3. Site structureCreating the best site structure Now it’s easy to think your website only needs the following pages.
- Online Accounting
- Business Valuation
- Corporate Finance
- Corporation Tax
- VAT Return
- Capital Gains
- Annual Accounts
4. Technical SEO AuditHere is a simple checklist of errors you might have that are affecting your Google position. There are various platforms or tools available to perform technical SEO audits like; SEMrush.com or SEOptimer.com, which provides a detailed report on improvements, which help you understand what could be damaging your website ranking. via GIPHY It is always required to improve your website’s health, and hence it is necessary to regularly check your site for errors and improvements (we recommended doing a health check every two months). Main areas to fix immediately!!!:
- Crawl errors:
- XML Sitemap:
- Robot.txt file:
- Responsive check:
- Toxic links:
- Page load speed:
- Duplicate titles, descriptions, and headers:
- Broken links:
- Mixed content on the website:
- Checking HTTP or https (having https is recommended):
5. Accountancy Directory CitationsFor local search optimisation any business must do the following things:
- Google my business
- High quality local directories
- Niche directories (Accountant related directories)
6. User Experience
Improving user experienceUser experience plays a significant role here in. You can get tons of traffic through to your website, but an essential factor is to make sure it converts! Hence utmost care must be taken when serving for user experience. Look at your website from an outsider perspective, does your accountancy website have?
- Unique selling points (what makes your accountancy firm different from the competition)
- Reviews (do you have reviews from good sources like Google, Yell and other directories)
- Does the website build trust on the first visit?
- Is it forcing people to take action to either call or submit their email or number
- Is the number displayed clearly?
- Is the website mobile responsive – (Check if website is mobile responsive)
- Is the site fast and not taking ages to load? (check website speed)
7. Adding Keywords to your accountant website
Google search query and results:When Google displays the results of our search query, it is in the format where the Google ads are placed at the top & very bottom of the page. The portions after Google ads are usually Business listings followed by the organic search results. The organic search results are the links that rank because of their SEO. You don’t need to pay Google to get into this page, but this requires a well-orchestrated SEO strategy. Follow these tips to make sure you keep ahead of the game when looking at SEO for accountants.
Keyword research:There are many ways to perform keyword research for your website, Click here for some of the best tools to use. These are some of our favorite keyword research tools:
- Google AdWord Keyword Planner
- Google Search Console
Adding Accountant Keywords to your website:This is basic SEO, but still, some people miss these fundamental principles. After keyword research, you need to do SEO by placing the keywords in the right place. The keywords must be included in the following places:
- The URL www.youraccountancywebsite.co.uk/payroll-london
- Title of the Page:
- Meta description:
- H1, H2, H3 & H4 Tags
- Image title:
- Image alt tag:
- In the content:
- Maintaining the keyword density:
- Website Internal Linking
8. Blog PostingCreating a blog and adding accountancy related content Done correctly having a blog on your accountancy website will grow your business and expand the reach on search engines. For e.g. As we are discussing SEO for accountants, the services of accountancy include payroll, tax compliance, bookkeeping, investment schemes, VAT etc. So these services can get more exposure and reach from the content on the blog. Someone looking pay VAT may search on Google ‘How do I pay VAT?’. Now if you build a blog with a comprehensive guide on ‘how to submit VAT’ you have a potential customer on your website. Another example, if a potential customer is looking to do company payroll, they may ask Google, ‘what is the payroll process?’ now you post an excellent informative blog and instructions on how to do this, you have offered free advice and got another potential customer on your website that is looking for a accountant. This is one of the most significant ways to generate more leads from the blog content. There are thousands of different questions people will be asking Google when having a problem with their accounts. These can be researched using platforms like Ahrefs or Buzzsumo. Here is an SEO Blog posting funnel.
- Getting high authority accountancy Links
9. Guest postingGuest posting is one of the most popular off page activities to gain the traffic (can also be very time consuming), create brand awareness and get a backlink. It is just reaching out to the bloggers, pitch them and request to make your piece of content live on their website with a link back to your site. Some websites that fall into the accountancy niche that accept guest posting
10. Accountancy InfographicsCreating traffic through infographics Infographics have been gaining popularity and become widely used amongst businesses for both digital and print media. They are a bright, effective and artistic way of presenting information without losing the attention of the viewer. These are great for getting links from infographic websites such as graphs.net and infographicbee.com. Also, great to post on your social media and shows potential customers you are going the extra mile and are experts in your field. Here is a guide on how to build infographics for SEO (click here) Here is an example of a accountancy infographic: Image Source : https://www.acecloudhosting.com
Analysing the Traffic on Google Analytics & Search ConsoleSEO does not happen overnight, but within the first few months, you will notice a dramatic increase in organic traffic if the steps have been implemented correctly. Google analytics will break down how many new and returning visitors you are getting. Also, you will need to install Google Search console to find out what people are typing into the search engines to find your website.
- Set up Google Analytics
- Set up Google Search Console